Pages

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Contemporary or Classic?

A little of both, if you please...  I'm working on a line of bakery inspired jams. 

I make the "Carrot Cake Jam" that many people have made and it is delicious.  
 
Carrot Cake Jam
    • 1 1/2 cups finely grated carrots
    • 1 1/2 cups peeled chopped pears
    • 1 c coconut
    • 1/2 c chopped nuts
    • 1 (14 ounce) cans crushed pineapple, undrained
    • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
    • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
    • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (scant)
    • 1/2 teaspoon cloves (scant)
    • 6 cups sugar
    • 1 (3 ounce) certo liquid pectin
  1. Mix everything BUT sugar and pectin in pan.
  2. Bring to a boil.
  3. Bring down to a simmer for 20 minutes, stirring every once in while.
  4. Add pectin and bring to a  boil.
  5. Add sugar bring to a rolling boil.
  6. Take off heat.
  7. Fill hot sterile jars.
  8. Put lids on.
  9. Water bath for 10 minutes.
 I found a recipe for banana jam, which is also super yummy.  I added chopped pecans and call it my "Banana Bread Jam."  
 
Banana Jam 
  • 3 cups white sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 3 1/2 cups mashed banana
  • 1 tablespoon whole cloves
  • 6 half pint canning jars with lids and rings
  1. Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan; bring to a boil, and boil for 10 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice, mashed banana, and cloves. Reduce heat to low; simmer, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens, about 45 minutes. Strain to remove cloves.
  2. Ladle jam into the jars, screw on lids, and water bath 10 minutes.
 
I've seen recipes for "Apple Pie Jam," which I have yet to make.  My sis makes it and it is a favorite of hers.  

APPLE PIE JAM




6 c peeled, chopped tart apple
2 c unsweetened apple juice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 ½ c sugar
Juice and grated peel of 1 large lemon
¾ cup raisins
1 pkg No Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin

Combine apples, lemon peel and juice in a large saucepan.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until apples begin to soften.  Remove from heat and whisk in pectin.  Add raisins and cinnamon.Return mixture to a boil.  Boil 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in sugar.  Skim off foam, if necessary.  Ladle hot jam into hot jars leaving ¼ inch headspace.  Process in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes.


My boss put a bug in my bonnet when she asked if there was such a thing as a "gingerbread" jam.  I once saw a recipe that claimed to evoke this flavor, but I've lost it without having made it.  (insert tears)...I will find again...I will.

So this is one of my current trends - bakery inspired flavors for jams.  It's one delicious experiment after another.

The last time I was making a batch of Carrot Cake Jam, my wee babe (6'2" offensive lineman) said, "Mom, this IS a good jam recipe.  But sometimes the best thing in the world is just a delicious classic jam.  So keep trying the new recipes - that's awesome.  But don't ever stop making me  strawberry jam every spring and peach jam every summer."  

I loved getting this reminder from my wise son not to abandon my old classic recipes.  Just like the Girl Scout Brownies like to sing - "Make new friends, but keep the old.  One is silver and the other's gold."

What do you like to can best - Contemporary or Classic?

No comments:

Post a Comment